Kitchen remodeling can be an expensive and draining endeavour. But with all the time you and your family spend in your kitchen, it’s important that you feel comfortable and inspired there.
Kitchen remodeling sits at the top of many homeowners’ wish lists, and for good reason: If properly done, a renovation makes the kitchen more attractive, improves its efficiency, and raises the resale price of your home. Integrate these thoughtful tips when planning your kitchen remodel for a space that is functional and easy to work and live in. If your budget can accommodate custom cabinets, your choices are even greater. Countertop materials already come in a great array of choices, but they can be customized even further with special routing or inset bands of another color or material. The same goes for flooring, walls, and in-kitchen dining furniture.
Though aesthetics are important, the driving remodeling force is functionality. Start by doing some research and tour show houses and kitchen show rooms to see product up close and personal. Next, set a budget that reflects your main priorities for the new space and familiarize yourself with basic elements of design.
Here’s an article that talks about tips and ideas to remodel your kitchen on a budget.
So where should you start?
- Start by setting your remodeling budget. You know what you can afford to spend and setting aside that amount and staying within the budget is the first step in getting a new kitchen look without the worry of how you are going to pay the bills.
- Take a hard look at your kitchen. Decide if your kitchen really needs to be renovated or simply needs to have a new, fresher look. Keep in mind that cabinets, counter tops, and appliances are huge expenses that are best to avoid unless you have a lot of disposable income. Make a list of those changes that are absolutely necessary to make your kitchen more functional and make those changes first.
- Remember, there are various small and inexpensive things you can do that will give your kitchen a bright new look without spending a lot of money. Sanding and repainting cabinets may take a lot of work but can help give your kitchen an entirely new look for much less than replacing your cabinetry. Fresh paint, stenciling, new curtains, area rugs, and a few shelves placed just right are all inexpensive ways to give your kitchen a face-lift. Some colorful place mats and a nice centerpiece can make that breakfast nook look totally different.
- Changing your lighting or light fixtures may also make your kitchen more functional and look warmer and more inviting.
- If your kitchen really does need a complete overall, then consider making changes a few at time and take advantage of any way you can lower the price. For example, there are many resale shops that now carry appliances and you just may get a new looking refrigerator or stove at a reduced price if you take the time to visit some of these places. Also consider getting appliances that are energy star rated as this will help you recover some of your cost slowly over time as you will be paying less for utilities.
- You might also consider doing as much of the actual remodeling as you can yourself. While you may want a professional to put in those new cabinets or lay down that tile floor, you can certainly paint walls yourself and save on the cost of some of the labor.
- When it comes to countertops, granite and Corian are quite popular in today’s market. They not only look expensive but are expensive. By installing inexpensive tile, you can save 30% or more, plus be able to choose a cheap tile backsplash that matches your floor and cabinets. Even Formica has a nicer finish today. These countertops have a rounded edge which helps the cabinet fronts to even look rounded. Formica now comes in a wide variety of patterns and designs.
- If you are going with ceramic tile for a countertop, you can pick some beautiful kitchen tile backsplash designs. This alone can really set your kitchen apart, making a huge difference in the look for the little extra you spend. If you look for special deals, you can find discount glass tile that will make your kitchen the talk of the neighborhood.
- During a kitchen renovation, it makes sense to replace the sink with a modern looking one. This is one of the cheapest items you will need to buy. If you are changing appliance panels to give a different look and color, you may want to match your sink to the appliances. You can purchase dishwasher panels for most new style dishwashers. If you decide to have stainless steel appliances, you can install a stainless steel sink to match them.